Thursday, September 20, 2007

T20 T20

Well lemme start with the amazing Ind Vs SA match today! Congratulations to India for storming their way into the semi-finals of the Twenty Twenty Cricket tournament. Well, I am not going to get into the details of the match in this blog. I wanted to give an opinion on this new format of the game and whether this new format will go well among people in India. When the twenty twenty world cup started, I was not very sure whether I would like this format and with the big guns from Indian batting line up opting out, there was even more uncertainty about Indian team's performance in this tournament. But credit needs to be given to the new players who have come in and to a few others who are making a comeback. This Indian team has seen it all on its way to the semi finals. The bowl out with Pakistan, the stunning sixes by Yuvraj Singh against England, a smashing 50 on debut by Rohit Sharma and an amazing spell of swing bowling by RP Singh!

I think one of the few advantages of a 20 over match is that there is never a dull moment during the entire match and if the pitch offers some assistance to the bowlers, the match becomes really interesting. How many times has someone switched off the TV after the first 15 overs of a 50 overs match and then switched it on in the 40th over? Well that explains that there are many people who woould like this format. Especially, in today's fast paced world, if one can watch a full innings of a T20 T20 match with a couple of hours to spare, I think there would be many takers for that!. And with India doing well in this tournament till now, there would not be many who are complaining. But it might be too early to come to a conclusion whether T20 T20 would be liked by everyone or whether it should be played more often. Still it looks promising and hope there are many more fun filled matches to come by in this tournament and in the future as well!

PS: There are many times in the past when India makes a stunning performance in a couple of matches and loses it all in the big finals. Hope that does not happen in this T20 T20 tournment. Here is wishing all the very best to Team India!!

2 comments:

Ashwin said...

Ya what you said is true... But having so much used to Test and ODI Cricket, I am not finding this form of cricket so interesting... May be this will change with time :)

WhO ElsE said...

IMHO, T-20 takes the fun and skill out of the game. Six hitting can be stunning, but it should be earned. A six or a four every other ball is ridiculous.

This format also makes sure that the best team does not necessarily win consistently. Though this might suit inconsistently brilliant teams like India and Pakistan, this one is not for the connoisseurs of the beautiful game.

My vote would still go for the 5 day Test and 50 Over ODI games.